How to Avoid Caregiver Burnout with Memory Care
Being a caregiver can be a rewarding experience, especially when you have the opportunity to spend quality time with your loved one. But this role also involves many stressors that can take a toll on your physical, mental and emotional health.
Without support, you could reach the point of burnout – a state of exhaustion that can leave you physically, emotionally and mentally drained. That’s why taking care of yourself is a critical necessity. After all, you can’t take care of your loved one if you’re unhealthy.
Let’s learn more about caregiver burnout and the importance of memory care in Westlake Village.
What is Caregiver Burnout? What are the Signs to Watch For?
Caregiver burnout is a state of mental, physical and emotional exhaustion. Burnout can occur when caregivers don’t get the help they need or when they try to do more than they’re physically and emotionally able to. It also doesn’t help when a person is forced into this role.
It’s important to know the signs of caregiver burnout so that you can take immediate action if you notice them in yourself. Signs that it’s time to enlist help for dementia care in Westlake Village are:
- Feeling constantly exhausted
- New or worsening health problems
- Neglecting your own needs and responsibilities
- Drinking, smoking or eating more
- Feeling increasingly resentful
- Trouble relaxing, even when help is available
- Becoming increasingly impatient around the person you’re caring for
- Feeling hopeless or helpless
How to Cope with Caregiver Burnout
Taking care of a loved one will never be stress-free, but it’s important to manage this stress in a productive manner. If you are unhealthy, you can’t take care of your loved one. This is why memory care in LA county and Ventura County is not a luxury but a necessity.
Generally speaking, caregivers tend to feel burned out when they feel powerless. In order to combat caregiver stress and burnout, you need to take back some power. While you probably can’t have everything you want (i.e., more money, more time), you can get more happiness and joy back into your life.
Some tips for coping with caregiver burnout are:
- Enlist help. Perhaps most important, enlist help from others. If you don’t have a strong support network, assisted living in Thousand Oaks can help.
- Focus on the positives of being a caregiver. Are you setting a good example for your children? Spending more time with your loved one?
- Balance your caregiver duties. Caregiving is a part of your life – it shouldn’t be your entire life. Balance is key.
- Work on the things you can control. You can’t add hours to your day but you can control how you respond to stress.
The Role of Memory Care in Westlake Village
In some cases, you might be able to care for your parent up until their last moments. However, this is not the norm. Most caregivers need support at some point, especially if their loved one suffers from dementia. People with dementia need around-the-clock attention, and this isn’t feasible for most families.
Once your loved one needs a greater level of care than what you can provide, it’s best to start looking into dementia facilities in Westlake Village. Memory care refers to long-term care and supportive services tailored to the needs of adults with dementia, Alzheimer’s or other cognitive disorders. These centers provide 24-hour support in a secure, compassionate environment.
Varenita of Westlake is an upscale retirement community nestled between LA County and Ventura County. Here are some of our best features that we can offer to your family:
- Safety and security. Wandering is a common concern for people with dementia. Our community is safe and secure. We have an emergency response system in each apartment, as well as tracking systems. With this technology, your loved one can wander safely throughout our community.
- Memory floor plans. We are confident that your loved one will feel right at home at Varenita! All memory care residents have their own studio apartments that they can decorate with familiar belongings. These apartments also include raised vanities, walk-in showers and grab bars.
- Personalized attention. Our senior housing in LA County & Ventura County has low resident-to-staff ratios who are able to deliver a high level of care and attention. Our staff provides daily wellness checks, weekly housekeeping and weekly laundry.
- Fun, enriching activities. Your loved one won’t just be spending their days in a safe place. They’ll also have the opportunity to engage in arts and crafts, fitness classes, wellness programs and more. We also encourage our residents to spend time outdoors in our beautiful gardens and walking paths.
Find Dementia Care in Westlake Village Today
Caregiving is a major role to take on, especially as your loved one’s condition progresses. Fortunately, you are not alone. Memory care is available and it’s better than ever before. By moving your loved one into assisted living in Thousand Oaks, you can give them the safe, healthy and engaging life they deserve.
The best part is, you get to enjoy quality time with your loved one. Rather than being their sole caregiver, you can use your time to build puzzles, play games, look at pictures and listen to music. What a wonderful opportunity to strengthen bonds and enjoy these years together! To learn more about our Westlake Village retirement community, contact Varenita by Griffing Living today.