According to a recent study carried out by the National Institute on Aging, three in ten American seniors live alone. Although seniors maintaining their independence aren’t a bad idea, it's essential to identify the benefits attached to seniors' socialization and the dangers of the social aspect of senior life. This article highlights why seniors should socialize and the benefits attached.
Why Should Seniors Socialize?
Healthy relationships benefit everyone irrespective of the age. Social interaction is essential for seniors, as it helps them stay mentally, emotionally and physically fit. Spending quality time with others lowers the risk of potential social isolation in elders and the resulting symptoms of cognitive decline, depression, and disease. There are different opportunities seniors could explore to socialize and improve their life quality. Few are suggested below;
- Join the senior community centre: With over 10,000 senior centres in the U.S., which provides a series of opportunities to socialize from cooking classes to job training, and even day trips.
- Learn Something New: colleges in most local communities offer continuing education classes for community members. Most of these classes are free for seniors or sometimes provided at a reduced rate. Participating in such classes gives room to learn something new while connecting with others.
- Explore a Hobby: There is no community without clubs with specific focuses like woodworking, painting, or gardening. Seniors can share activities they enjoy with friends.
- Join Fitness Group: Maintaining physical fitness is vital for all ages. Seniors' mental and physical health increases as they participate in regular exercise while socializing with other like-minded individuals.
- Volunteer: Seniors can build new social networks and also acquire new roles for themselves when they volunteer to assist within the community. Volunteer activities include local literacy programs, soup kitchens, foster grandparents programs, and many more.
Benefits of Socialization for Seniors
Why is social interaction so significant for older individuals? Let's look through some of the benefits of a senior social lifestyle:
Improved Physical Health
Surrounded by like-minded individuals who support and encourage you, it helps to participate in physical activities regularly. At our Westlake retirement community, group workouts and amenities like swimming pools give seniors the chance to socialize with others while promoting sound physical health. Regardless of the amplified fitness opportunities available, friendship is said to relieve a person's stress, leading to better cardiovascular health and a sound immune system.
Positive Mental Health
Consistent social interaction with friends around enhances one's mental health by keeping the brain active and engaged. The feeling of 'being among' boosts moods and reduces the risk of anxiety and depression. On days when you feel overwhelmed, friends' supports can get you through tough times.
A Longer Lifespan
Socializing helps you stay active with positive feelings, thereby positively impacting your lifespan. Social connectivity is as vital as eating well, without excess smoking and drinking. The National Institute on Aging after research suggests that "Social isolation in older adults is a significant risk factor for morbidity and mortality." Therefore, the engagement of older individuals in regular social activities increases their life span.
Discover the Health Benefits of Socializing at a Varenita Senior Community
Our Westlake retirement community offers a stimulating environment where resident thrives as one big family. As said, "Seeing is believing!" pay a visit yourself to speak to some of our residents.
Here's how we can help. All activities provided at our Westlake retirement community are tailored to help achieve your mental, physical, and social needs. Also, providing diverse opportunities for better social interactions exists in our community, offering seniors the exact support, company, and engagement needed for the entire well-being.
We welcome your comments!
Explore Our California Retirement Communities
Varenita of Simi Valley offers a vibrant and modern approach to senior living that affords an enriching sense of connection. With both memory care and assisted living in Simi Valley, this beautiful retirement community is perfect for older adults who want support that enables them to do more every day.
Located in the heart of a well-planned shopping plaza, Varenita of Simi Valley surrounds you with wonderful shops and restaurants. Walk to your favorite places, or enjoy time with friends and family in your spacious new Simi Valley senior living home.
Located in the prestigious Westlake Hills area, this innovative California assisted living and memory care community features a warm, “village-like” design that includes vibrant living spaces, resort-style amenities, elegant courtyards and beautiful landscaping.
Find an exquisite new lifestyle that nourishes your soul, removes the stressors of everyday life and opens the opportunity to enjoy retirement living as it should be.