Some people assume that California is too expensive for a comfortable retirement, but that’s not necessarily true. While the Golden State isn’t cheap, it offers benefits that you won’t find anywhere else. So, if you’ve been feeling like the key to a good retirement is leaving California, think again. You can stay put, remain close to family and friends and still get the most out of your retirement.
Varenita is a retirement community in Simi Valley CA. We offer the opportunity for seniors to live comfortably and beautifully. Let’s cover the many reasons why people are choosing to retire in southern California near friends and family.
Yes, California Makes a Great State for Retirement
There’s something for everyone in California. Whether you enjoy relaxing on the beach, visiting attractions in the major cities, hiking in the mountains or sipping on wine in wine country, there are activities to support an active, vibrant lifestyle year-round.
And while it can be costly to live in California, the state actually has some great financial incentives for retirees. For example, groceries and prescription medications are not subject to sales tax, and there is a $7,000 housing tax exemption for those living in their homes. Those who meet certain income requirements may also be able to defer their property tax payments.
Let’s look closer at some of the main benefits to expect by staying put and retiring right here in California.
- Great weather. The weather in California is about as perfect as it gets. With temps in the 70s and 80s throughout much of the year, you can spend all the time you want outdoors without worrying about snow, rain, ice or humidity.
- Wide selection of activities. Regular exercise in older age has a powerful effect on life expectancy. Fortunately, it’s easy to stay active in California when there are 900-miles of beach, national parks, entertainment, water activities and more.
- Plenty of senior living options. Because so many people are retiring in California, there are many options for senior living. You can choose quiet memory care in Ventura County or a bustling retirement community with apartments, housekeeping, transportation and scheduled activities.
- Highly rated healthcare. California is one of the top states for healthcare, which is important for older adults. Plus, you’ll find no shortage of top-rated hospitals, including UCLA Medical Center and Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. This is especially important for older adults living with chronic health conditions.
- Excellent public health. With opportunities to be active and connected, California is the No. 1 state for public health. It has low mortality rates, low obesity rates, low smoking rates and low suicide rates. It also has good overall mental health.
If California is a Good Place to Retire, Why are People Leaving?
You might be wondering why so many people are leaving California for states like Arizona or Nevada if it’s really a great place to retire. In reality, the number of people leaving California is not much different from any other year.
According to a major UC research project, there is no statewide exodus. Some people have been concerned about a “millionaire flight,” but the state continues to attract as much venture capital as all other states combined. And according to voter information, fewer people planned on leaving California in 2020 than in 2019.
Many Californians also say that they still believe in the “California Dream,” and envision a better state for future generations. So, despite what the media may be saying, millions of people are choosing to retire in California. There is no evidence to support a California exodus.
Find the Best Options for Assisted Living in Simi Valley
With so many options for Simi Valley senior living, you might feel overwhelmed when it comes to finding the best facility. Keep in mind that there is no “right” solution for everyone. You must consider your own unique needs and how you plan to live out your retirement years.
Varenita of Simi Valley is one example of what senior living can look like. If you already live near Simi Valley, this transition will be an easy one. You can stay close to family and friends while being in the heart of Simi Valley. Located in Griffin Plaza, there are endless opportunities to explore and socialize!
Reasons to choose our active retirement communities in Simi Valley CA are:
- Located in the heart of Griffin Plaza with plenty of shopping, restaurants, grocery stores, pharmacies, etc.
- Minutes from the highly rated Adventist Health in Simi Valley
- Plenty of outdoor seating and water features to enjoy year-round
- Spacious apartments, lobbies and seating areas to accommodate friends and family
- Stay connected to your loved ones while living independently
Schedule a Tour of Varenita and See What Retiring in Southern California Can Look Like!
As you can see, you can have an abundant and fulfilling life by staying in California. While only you can make the decision for yourself, we do encourage you to look at all of the factors when choosing a state to retire in – not just taxes or cost of living. California may be more expensive than other states, but it offers a high quality of life, a longer life expectancy and excellent healthcare.
To schedule a tour of Varenita of Simi Valley, contact us today. We’d love to show you around our community so that you can see for yourself what Simi Valley senior living can look like!